FP/HIV integration teleconference, Tuesday January 12, 2005


Sandra Jordan, USAID

Samantha Ender, Advance Africa

Molly Strachan, POLICY

Kathleen Shears, FHI

Steve Goldstein & Peggy D’Adamo, INFO

Inon Schenker, consultant

Not available but definitely interested:

Laura Raney, FRONTIERS

Rachel Nugent, PRB

Review of progress so far:

  • Sandra Jordan will be meeting weekly with Nomi Fuchs from now on and can update her on HIPNet progress. The first meeting will review the list of gaps identified by HIPNet and discuss what Nomi things are the most important gaps and what needs to be published soon.
  • The HIPNET FP/HIV integration subcommittee will be on the agenda of the Partners meeting on April 6-7 and will report on activities there.
  • INFO: Steve Goldstein reported progress on INFO activities related to FP/HIV integration. INFO is about to hire a temporary subject matter expert (SME) and is creating a virtual community interface for the HIV/FP working groups that will include all existing resources related to FP/HIV integration identified by HIPNet. It will also include the matrices that were distributed after the partners meetings with information on ongoing research and ongoing service delivery projects in the field. INFO will soon circulate a prototype of the tool for comments and feedback. In the future, the tool will be useful to track existing gaps and identify new ones.   In June INFO will also publish a digest series listing top materials recommended on FP/HIV integration.
  • POLICY: Molly Strachan reported that POLICY has two studies in the works from Zambia and Uganda on how family planning can be delivered in PMTCT and ARV projects. They also have studies underway in Cambodia and Jamaica on integration.   These studies will be completed and published within the next 18 months. She also commented that we need to wait for projects and research to happen in the field before we can create publications.
  • FHI: Kathleen Shears reported that FHI is working on a manual on contraception for HIV-infected women with EngenderHealth and will have project reports on integration activities in Kenya. FHI is interested in doing joint publications with other CAs.
  • InonSchenker introduced himself to the group. He is a consultant who is based in Israel and has worked in the Middle East and the Caribbean, including working with WHO. His particular interest is cultural and religious barriers to integration of FP/HIV, especially in the Middle East. He also believes that the idea of gaps is multidimensional – there can gaps in terms of appropriateness of materials as well as subject gaps, or gaps in certain kinds of materials. He also asked if HIPNet was interested in jointly publishing something as a group, or only in facilitating collaboration and making sure there is no duplication of effort. We agreed that it’s easier to facilitate collaboration between 2 organizations than to think about a joint publication, although it’s something to consider in the future.

In the Pipeline

At least several publications are in the pipeline and could be candidates for the branded series – the FHI/EngenderHealth manual, the POLICY reports, the INFO digest, and the virtual community interface. Some publications must be done by June 30th – which means we need to move fast on the branding and review procedure. Peggy also reported that AIHA has a series of manuals on integration – at least one of which might be a good candidate for the branded series too.

Gaps List

Peggy explained that the list of gaps came from the USAID guidance document. It needs to be reviewed by experts for omissions and to get a sense of how to prioritize the gaps listed. Sandra Jordan will review it with Nomi Fuchs and Jim Shelton. Each of us also agreed to take the gaps list and get input on it from at least one or two experts within each of our organizations.


Sandra reported that Margaret Neuse is still in favor of the idea of a HIPNet series with a brand. She suggested that we try to make it a bit more visible and redesign it. Sandra will have the PHNI Project work on it and we will review what they create.

Editorial Review for Branding/Logo

Creating an editorial board will take time and require effort from Nomi and other USAID staff.   We discussed the idea of having consultants or outside expert reviewers (one or two) who could do the actual review of the materials and be paid by USAID. Need more discussion on how it would work and what the criteria would be.   Should one project take this responsibility on? Or would that mean some loss of credibility? Perhaps HIPNet could ‘manage’ it but consultants, outside reviewers would do the actual work.

Advocacy with OHA, outside groups

Sandra suggested, and we agreed, that once we have the online tool, a logo and a process for how things get included in the branded series, we should approach others at USAID including those working on repositioning, and other outside organizations like CCMC, WHO, etc. to see if they are interested in participation.

To Do

  1. We will all circulate list of gaps within our organizations and to field offices and get feedback on them.
  2. Sandra Jordan: will ask PHNI to develop a logo and will talk to Nomi, Jim, OHA representatives and the new OHA communications person.
  3. We will all initiate discussion within our organizations, and especially with the authors, on the branded series
  4. INFO’s new expert will also meet with OHA, CA reps, getting feedback on the virtual resource
  5. Both Laura Raney and Rachel Nugent may have publications in the pipeline, or planned that are candidates for the branded series.
  6. Peggy D’Adamo will talk to AIHA about their manuals.

We will report on our progress at the HIPNet meeting (Jan. 26) and schedule another conference call in February.