New and Upcoming Materials Family Care International
Global Sexual and Reproductive Health:
- Prevention and Management of Unsafe Abortion: A Guide for Action
Publication Date: December, 1998 (English), Spring, 1999 (Spanish and French). Developed by FCI in collaboration with IPAS, IPPF and the Population Council, this guide outlines steps that can be taken to reduce the public health problem of unsafe abortion through improved family planning services, postabortion care programs, and ensuring that safe abortion services are available to the extent allowed by law. Other sections cover quality of care, community education, research and policy related to unsafe abortion. The document features:
- Case studies from a range of developing countries;
- Annotated listings of available resources (training curricula, clinical guidelines and other resource materials) that can be used in planning and implementing abortion-related programs or projects
- Contact information and policy statements from international agencies and donors that provide technical assistance or funding for abortion-related activities.
- Step by Step: Taking a Comprehensive Approach to Sexual and Reproductive Health in the Post Cairo Era (working title)
Publication Date: June, 1999. Languages: English, Spanish, French
This succinct document for decision makers and program planners gathers and distills existing research, examples of national strategies and programs, and more localized pilot and model projects related to ICPD implementation. The goal of the document is to highlight successful strategies, emerging opportunities, lessons learned and remaining obstacles involved in taking a more comprehensive approach to the provision of sexual and reproductive health care based on ICPD goals and objectives.
Africa/Anglophone Region Publications:
- Safe Motherhood in the Community: A Flipchart
Publication Date: June, 1998
The Safe Motherhood Flip Chart conveys essential information on maternal health to African women and their families. Each illustration is accompanied by questions to help encourage discussion, key information the audience should know, and actions they should take. Designed for use in face-to-face counseling and group education settings to help women learn about their health. It offers clear, easy-to-understand information on how to stay healthy during pregnancy, delivery, and the postpartum period, including warning signs of: complications during pregnancy; miscarriage and abortion-related complications; obstructed labor; postpartum hemorrhage and sepsis.
- Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health: A Flipchart
Publication Date: December, 1998
Developed by FCI in collaboration with IPPF/Africa Region, this flip chart is designed for use by peer educators and others who counsel young people. It can be used for one-to-one counseling or with a small group. The flip chart can also be used to help parents and other community members understand some of the issues faced by young people during adolescence. The flip chart, with 14 colorful illustrations and accompanying text addresses: physical and emotional changes during puberty; sexuality and reproductive health, including reproduction, STDs, HIV/AIDS, early pregnancy, unsafe abortion and violence against women, as well as seeking health and counseling services; coping with peer pressure and abusive relationships; and building healthy relationships, including communicating with parents, abstinence and condom negotiation.
The text is structured to encourage an interactive dialogue about these issues, rather than a lecture. Each illustration is accompanied by questions to help encourage discussion, key information the audience should know, and actions they should take.
- Stepping Out
Release date: December, 1998
Developed by FCI and the Family Planning Association of Kenya, Stepping Out is a set of six short video modules, which range from 10 to 16 minutes in length. The set is intended for adolescents aged 13-17, in urban and rural communities throughout English-speaking Africa. These materials are designed for use by youth groups in youth clubs, health facilities, school and church-based programmes, or other youth-serving agency. Each of the video modules focuses on a different theme:
- Module One: How Are We Different? Covers human growth and development, reproduction and sexuality.
- Module Two: What Do You Want To Be? Covers decision-making skills with a focus on self-awareness, goal-setting, and understanding the consequences of risky behaviors.
- Module Three: What Do You Mean By Love? Covers relationships and communication skills to develop interpersonal communication skills and develop the capacity for caring, supportive and non-coercive relationships.
- Module Four: Take Care and Be Safe: Addresses the consequences of early and unprotected sexual activity, and encourages responsibility and the avoidance of risky behavior.
- Module Five: Your Right To Say No: Covers sexual abuse, harassment and rape, and building awareness, confidence and skills to avoid unwanted sexual activity.
- Module Six: Respect Yourself: Covers values, respect for ourselves and for others, and the role of family, culture, religion, media and society in shaping values and identities.
Africa/Francophone Region Publications:
- Femmes en bonne santé, mères en bonne santé: Un guide d’information
Publication Date: December, 1998
A 206-page resource book that offers basic information on women’s health needs and problems in Africa. Written in non-technical language and specially adapted for Francophone African countries, the book is designed for use by health workers and others who provide information and counseling to women at the community level.
- Faire passer le message: Comment planifier une campagne d’éducation et de communication sur la santé de la reproduction
Publication Date: December, 1998
A step-by-step guide to help local organizations develop, produce, and evaluate educational materials and messages for their communities. Describes each of the steps involved in planning community-level Information, Education and Communication campaign, from identifying key problems, to planning and conducting target group research, developing and pretesting messages, and steps involved in production and distribution.
- Renforcer les compétences en communication pour la santé de la reproduction: Un guide de formation
Publication Date: January,1999
A five-day training curriculum designed to improve the communication and interpersonal skills of health workers. Using role plays and other practical approaches specially adapted to adult learners, the curriculum focuses on strengthening key skills such as active listening, using visual aids, and developing a client-responsive approach.
- Education communautaire pour une meilleure santé de la reproduction: Un guide de formation Publication Date: January,1999
A six-day training curriculum designed to improve the communication and interpersonal skills of health workers working in local communities. Emphasizes developing and building relationships with community-level networks to help communities improve their own health. Incorporates many practical exercises and two field visits.